These days, getting CM9 nightly support is something a lot of users consider to be a milestone for a particular device, as the nightlies usually transform into beta, and in turn stable versions of CM9. And now, nighlties have arrived on the HTC Sensation, HTC’s first dual-core smartphone. CM9 brings Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 to a lot of Android devices (in both official and unofficial capacity), with fast performance and useful customization options.
For those that don’t know, nightlies are ROMs that are automatically compiled each night (usually), incorporating all the new code and changes made each day. However, since nightlies are automatic builds, they can have side-effects such as newly introduced bugs, and also lack any list of changes. If having the latest (but sometimes not the greatest) ROM is your priority, nightlies are just the thing for you.
Keep in mind that CM9 is still under development and not yet fully complete, so some things may not work as intended and you may encounter bugs and issues.
Let’s take a look at how the CM9 nightly ROM can be installed on your HTC Sensation.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Sensation. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM9 Nightly ROM on HTC Sensation
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- [Important] Your HTC Sensation must have S-Off and its bootloader must be unlocked. You can unlock the bootloader on the phone officially → here. Also, make sure ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the SD card.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into Clockworkmod recovery by simultaneously pressing and holding the Volume down button and the Power button. From the resulting HBOOT menu, press Volume down to select the Recovery option and press the Power button to activate it.
In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into CM9. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
Updating to Newer Nightly CM9 ROMs
Nightly ROMs come out almost every day, so in order to upgrade to the latest nightly, simply download it, copy it to your SD card, boot into recovery, and install the nightly as given in step 9 above. You do not need to wipe data before updating to a new nightly, nor do you need to re-install the Gapps package. However, always make a backup in recovery before upgrading to make sure you can go back to the previous working ROM if the newer nightly fails to boot up.
If all goes well, you will be running the latest CM9 nightly ROM on your HTC Sensation. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.