Cyanogenmod (CM) is expanding real well with more and more devices joining in the fun everyday. Today, the alpha build of Cyanogenmod 9, (CM9) got out for HTC Evo 3D, which adds one more device to the growing list CM9 android phones.
HTC Evo 3D CM9 is based on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich obviously, and is only hope right now for Evo 3D users who really cannot expect HTC to get them Android 4.0 anytime soon.
We’re pretty sure you’re waiting to try Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Evo 3D, so this ROM is surely one you should try out. Be aware though that this is an alpha release, so the ROM does have a few bugs which are mentioned below, but we’re sure they’ll be ironed out soon so you can start using CM9 regularly on your HTC Evo 3D.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Evo 3D. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
- Developers → JoelZ9614
Here’s a list of the bugs currently present in the ROM:
- 4G Wimax
- SD Card Mount To PC
- In call mute
- Rooted HTC Evo 3D with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install CM9 on HTC Evo 3D
- Download the CM9 ROM file to your PC from the official development page.
- The CM9 comes sans Google Apps like market, gmail, etc. So, download the Google Apps addon package too:
Download link → here. Filename: gapps-ics-20120207-signed.zip | Size: 7 MB
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and 2 to the root of your external microSD card on the HTC Evo 3D.
- Boot into Clockworkmod recovery. (Use Volume Up and Down buttons to navigate, and the power button to select options in recovery.)
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » then on the next screen, select Backup again.
- Select “wipe data / factory reset” –> confirm Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen (will not erase your SD card, so don’t worry)
- Then, go into “mounts and storage”, then “format system” and select Yes on the next screen. Similarly, select “format cache” then select Yes to confirm.
- Now, select “go back” to return to the main recovery menu.
- Scroll to “Install zip from sdcard” and select it. Select “Choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the rom file from step 1 on the sdcard and select it. Now confirm installation by selecting Yes. The EVO 3D CM9 rom will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back”, but don’t reboot yet. Select “install zip from sdcard” again, then “choose zip from sdcard”. Browse to the file gapps addons file (downloaded in step 2) and select it. Select “Yes — Install gapps-ics-20120207-signed.zip” on next screen to confirm installation. This will install Google apps like Market, Gmail, etc.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot into your Evo 3D, to be presented with Cyaanogenmod 9, aka CM9.
That’s it. The Cyanogenmod 9 rom is now installed on your phone. Share your thoughts and problems in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help you out.