LG officially announced the update schedule for Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4 for the Optimus 2X, saying that they will be starting from the second quarter of 2012. Well, we’re pretty sure most of you don’t wanna wait that long to get ICS. Thankfully, you don’t have to, as CM9 (Cyanogenmod) has finally arrived on the shores of the Optimus 2X and the T-Mobile G2x, bringing you a taste of Android 4 well ahead of the official update schedule, as is always the case with Cyanogenmod.
Developer arcee from Rootzwiki has released beta builds of CM9 for both the Optimus 2X and the T-Mobile G2x. There are some issues in the ROM which is to be expected as it is in beta stage, and some bugs can always crop up. But hey, that shouldn’t deter you from trying the ROM (when has it ever?).
Read on to find out how to flash CM9 on your Optimus 2X/T-Mobile G2x.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the LG Optimus 2X P990 and the T-Mobile G2x P999. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
Developer → arcee
- No media acceleration: No video decoding, no video encoding.
- Apps made for Android 4 with their own specific graphics implementations (Chrome is a good example) will be glitchy. Please do not submit bug reports to those apps’ authors.
- Camera is very glitchy at best.
- Rooted LG Optimus 2X/T-Mobile G2x with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install CM9 on Optimus 2X/T-Mobile G2x
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page for your model of the phone (P990 for Optimus 2X or P999 for the T-Mobile G2x).
- Transfer the zip file downloaded in step 1 to the root of the internal SD card on your phone.
- Turn off your phone and wait for complete shutdown.
- Boot into Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery. Hold Volume Down & the Power button until the device boots to the recovery. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select.
- Now, perform a full wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD card). Wait for wipe to complete.
- Select “advanced”, then select “format system”, then select “Yes” to confirm. Then, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”.
- Scroll to the ROM file you transferred in step 2 and select it. Select “Yes –Install *rom_name*.zip” on the next screen to confirm installation.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone and boot up into CM9.
That’s it! You can now try out Ice Cream Sandwich on your Optimus 2X/T-Mobile G2x thanks to CM9. Follow the development page to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on this ROM in the comments below.