Here we go again, folks. Another Ice Cream Sandwich ROM arrives for the Motorola Atrix 4G, and this time it’s none other than a kanged build of Cyanogenmod 9 or CM9. Cyanogenmod, or its kanged builds, as you all know, is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.0 (ICS), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device. This is an early build, and one can expect some bugs, mainly arising out of the CM9 base, which itself is under heavy development at the moment. But anything CM9 is definitely worth a try, right?
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. We won’t be held liable for any damage that may occur to your device — you only will be responsible, you’ve been forewarned!!!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Motorola Atrix 4G. It’s not compatible with any other device. So, be sure to try this only on Atrix 4G and not any other device. Check your device model by going to Settings » About Phone
Developer: turl1 (XDA)
- Rooted Motorola Atrix 4G with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How To Install CM9 on Motorola Atrix 4G
- Download the CM9 ROM & Gapps Package zip files to your PC, from the original development thread.
- Transfer both zip files to the root of SD card on the phone
- Power off the phone & reboot to Clockworkmod Recovery (Hold Volume Down button and then press Power button (keep holding the Volume down button though until you see fastboot written at top left). Now, hit Volume Down repeatedly until you see the option in top left changing to Android Recovery. Once you see Android Recovery, hit Volume Up button to select it and your phone will boot into recovery mode.)
- [Optional] Perform a full Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this Rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » then on the next screen, select Backup again.
- Next Select “Wipe data / factory reset” → confirm Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen (will not erase your SD card, so don’t worry)
- Now Select Wipe Cache partition, and then select Yes – Wipe Cache on the next screen.
- Now from the main menu, Select Advanced, and then select Wipe Dalvik cache. On the next screen select Yes – Wipe Dalvik
- Then, go into “Mounts and storage”, then “Format system” and select Yes on the next screen. Similarly, select “Format cache” then select Yes to confirm.
- Now, select “Go back” to return to the main recovery menu. Scroll to “Install zip from sdcard” and select it. Select “Choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the CM9 zip file you transferred to the sdcard in Step 2 and select it. Now confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-Atrix-KANG-signed-6.zip. The CM9 ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back”, but don’t reboot yet. Select “Install zip from sdcard” again, then “choose zip from sdcard”. Browse to the Gapps package zip file now (transferred in step 2) and select it. Select “Yes — Install “gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip” on next screen to confirm installation. This will install Google apps like Market, Gmail, etc.
- After the installation is complete, select “Go back” then select “Reboot system now” to reboot into your Atrix 4G, to be presented with Cyanogenmod 9, aka CM9.
That’s it. The Cyanogenmod 9 Rom is now installed on your phone. You can visit the original development thread linked above, to check for the latest updates and development progress of this Rom. Share your thoughts and problems in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help you out.