Another Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 based custom ROM, CM9 with Cornerstone, is out for the Asus Transformer, which has seen quite a few ICS based ROMs released for it in the last 2-3 weeks. This ROM is based on CM9 for the Transformer, but has the Cornerstone Android modification built-in.
For those who don’t know, Cornerstone is a great modification that lets you multitask in a better way than the default method of switching between apps by closing one before opening the other. Cornerstone utilizes the extra screen space on Android tablets to show up to 3 different running apps at once, letting you switch between the running apps with a single touch.
As the ROM is based on CM9, which is still under development, it’s still in the beta stage, so expect bugs and issues to be present.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, model number TF101. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About Tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
Developer → ricardopvz
- Every bug from CM9
- maybe more
- Rooted TF101 with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Make sure the battery is sufficiently charged. At least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install CM9 with Cornerstone ROM on Transformer TF101
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development thread.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120224-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the root of your SD card on your tablet.
- Turn off the device and reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery. In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again. Restore your backup using the “restore” option when required.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Then, select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache”, then select “Yes” to confirm. After wiping dalvik cache, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install *your_rom_name*.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now repeat step 7, but this time select the Google apps package file gapps-ics-20120224-signed.zip to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the tablet.
The CM9 with Cornerstone ROM is now installed on your Asus Transformer Prime. Visit the development page to get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
You can also try the original CM9 ROM on your Transformer by using the step by step guide posted → here.