CyanogenMod 7.2 (CM7) for Epic 4G Touch Out Now!
In between all the talks of Ice Cream Sandwich on every android phone other than the Galaxy Nexus — one which actually released with it — Sprint’s best android phone, the Epic 4G Touch, just got a initial release of one of the best roms on market, CyanogenMod v7.2, aka CM7, based on Android 2.3.7.
Apart from getting you nearly true Android experience that your phone’s manufacturer would never provide you (or simply don’t want too, ever), Cyanogenmod is also highly sought after for its impressive theme engine, which allows you to change themes pretty easily — which is in fact, why I personally like this rom when sometimes fed up with MIUI.
And then there are hell lot of extra options which is best to see in action than read here. So, without much ado, lets see the installation instructions of CM7 on Epic 4g Touch.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
This rom and guide below is compatible only and only with Sprint’s Galaxy S2 — Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. It’s not compatible with any other device.
Things to take care of before Installing ROMs
- Installing/Flashing this ROM will erase your apps and data. So, it’s a very important you back them up before proceeding further. To backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. this Android backup guide would help you. Restore APN settings if Internet isn’t working for you, after installing the rom. And if you are using a rooted phone, you can save application’s data too, using Titanium backup (free app on android market) to backup apps with apps with data. Use the same app again to restore those apps with data.
- Drivers! — it’s important you’ve the proper drivers installed. Download links — 32 bit (x86) Windows | 64-bit (x64) Windows
How to Install CM7 on Epic 4g Touch
- Download the latest version of the rom from the development page of CM7 for Epic 4G Touch. To see what works and what doesn’t work currently on CM rom, check the development page only.
- Transfer the ROM to your phone’s sdcard.
- Disconnect phone from PC. Power it off — wait for 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Boot into recovery mode by pressing both Volume UP and Down keys and then Power key.
- In recovery, select install zip from sd card » choose zip from sd card (or internal sdcard, if that works) » browse through sd card and select the rom file you transferred in step 3 above. Select Yes on next screen
- This will begin the flashing of Cyanogenmod 7 on your Epic 4g Touch, just wait and watch till the process is over.
- After it’s flashed on to your phone, you will be back in recovery. Now, go back, and select ‘reboot system now’ to reboot the phone.
- [Optional] If you like this ROM — which you do, obviously — consider supporting the development by donating to the developer — bubby323, whom you should thank for CM7 on your device.
Share you thoughts and problems, if any, in comments below.