We just posted a handy guide on how to unlock bootloader on your Galaxy Nexus. But what fun would it be to unlock the bootloader without having a custom recovery for your Galaxy Nexus. You can’t install any custom roms, mods, themes or little tweaks like boot animation, etc without the help of a solid custom recovery.
So here comes the ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery for Galaxy Nexus. The CWM recovery is a robust custom recovery for Android devices. Here’s what you’d be able to do with CWM recovery on your Galaxy Nexus:
- Flash custom roms
- Flash custom themes
- Flash Mods and system tweaks
- Backup and restore your phone (Nandroid backup)
- And lots of more system tweaks
How To Install ClockworkMod Recovery On Your Galaxy Nexus
- In order to install CWM you’ll first need to unlock your phone’s bootloader. Here’s a step by step guide for that → How to Unlock Bootloader On Your Galaxy Nexus.
- Download the following three files:
- Extract the Samsung_drivers.zip and run the setup file to install the drivers (restart your PC if required)
- Now put your phone in fastboot mode:
- Switch off your phone
- Press and hold both volume keys and press Power key together until the fastboot mode comes up.
- Extract the Fastboot.zip file on your PC
- Now paste ClockworkMod recovery image that you downloaded in Step 2.3 inside the fastboot folder
- In the fastboot folder (from step 5), hold Shift key and then use mouse right click on any empty space inside the folder, and select “Open command window here” from the pop-up menu
- Once the command window is opened, connect your phone to your PC using USB cable, and type fastboot devices in the command prompt to make sure your device is recognized.
- Now to flash the CWM recovery, type this in command prompt:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-220.127.116.11-maguro.img
- And after the flashing process finishes, type this:
- Your phone will now reboot, and the ClockworkMod should now be installed.
How to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy Nexus
- Switch off your phone
- Press and hold both volume keys and press Power key together until the fastboot mode comes up
- Now use the volume up and down keys and select Recovery using the power key
- Your phone should now boot into ClockworkMod recovery.
If you’re facing any problem, feel free to ask us using the Comments section below.