Galaxy Mini owners can now use the latest version of ClockworkMod Recovery or CWM version 184.108.40.206 on their devices now. This latest version comes to us thanks to XDA developer squadzone from Team Hacksung. Some folks may ask whether we really need a Custom recovery ?? Well, if you’re the kind of user who is happy with the phone right out of the box, and is limited in his or her usage to basic functions and applications like calls, texts, music, perhaps some games, and some internet browsing..you may not need this at all….and there’s nothing wrong with that. On the other hand, if you’re the kind of user who is inclined towards tinkering with the Android system, flashing custom ROMs, or custom MODs developed to tweak or enhance functionality or features, creating nandroid backups, then a custom recovery is definitely something you cannot do without. And in the land of custom recoveries, CWM or Clockwork Mod is one of the most widely used and stable custom recoveries one could have on a device.
Lets move on now to how we can get CWM installed on your Minis. The installation guide is split into two parts; the first will guide you on how to flash a CWM base recovery image using Odin ( A Tool for flashing ROMs on Samsung devices), and the second part will address the actual flashing of CWM 220.127.116.11 through the base recovery. If all of this sounds complicated, don’t worry, it is really not as complex as it seems, and once you have downloaded all the required files, the entire process should not take more than 15 minutes , on the outside :)
Disclaimer: The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
CWM 18.104.22.168 (to be flashed using Odin in Part One) (Password : netas3k)
CWM 22.214.171.124 ( to be flashed through CWM Recovery in Part Two)
- Odin 4.38 downloaded and installed on your PC
- All the proper drivers installed on your PC. You can download them HERE.
- Ensure your phone is fully charged
- Ensure all data is backed up. You can refer to this excellent Android Backup Guide if required
- Close KIES on your PC. KIES does not get along too well with Odin and vice versa :)
- Run the Odin 4.38 exe file you downloaded earlier. ( Shift + Right Click on the .exe file, and Run as administrator)
- Power down the phone
- Enter Download Mode by pressing Volume down + Home button + power button simultaneously. After a couple of seconds, the screen should say Download
- Connect the phone to PC via USB cable
- Launch ODIN 4.38 as administrator ( On the PC keyboard, hit shift and Right click on the Odin 4.38.exe file, and select Run as administrator)
- Wait for Odin to recognize your phone. (At the left, there will be a yellow box that says COM “x”, x will be a number)
- Make sure ‘One package‘ is marked at the left of the window.
- Select “recovery.tar.md5” ( The CWM 126.96.36.199 file you downloaded earlier) with the ‘One Package-button‘ at the bottom of your window.
- Leave all the other options in Odin as default. Do not change anything
- Press start, wait ’till Odin gives the “Pass” message. The phone will reboot and you’ll now have ClockWorkMod-recovery installed
- To confirm, you can power off the phone, and power it on again by pressing Home Button +Power to boot into Recovery.
PART TWO – Installing the latest CWM 188.8.131.52
- Transfer the “update-cwm-184.108.40.206-squadzone.zip” you downloaded earlier to the root of sdcard on the phone
- Power the phone off, and reboot into Recovery by pressing Home Button +Power simultaneously
- In Recovery, scroll to Install zip from SD Card
- On the next screen select Choose zip from sdcard & select the “update-cwm-220.127.116.11-squadzone.zip” file & confirm installation
- Let CWM flash the update file.
- Once the installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select Reboot System. Your phone will now reboot
- That’s it. You now have the latest CloclworkMod Recovery 18.104.22.168 installed on your Galaxy Menu