The Xperia S is the latest flagship from Sony’s stable, and also their first dual-core phone in the market. That of course makes it a device that would surely see some great custom development. As always, the first step towards custom ROMs and hacks on an Android device is ClockworkMod recovery, which is used to install those ROMs, hacks and mods.
Recognized XDA developer DooMLoRD has been working on getting CWM recovery on the Xperia S, called DooMRecovery and instead of just aiming at the normal version of CWM found on most devices, he’s been busy making an extended, smarter edition with added features over normal CWM. It’s a fully touch-operated version of CWM, with Honeycomb style theming to make it look more attractive and pleasing to the eye, with quite a lot of other improvements and added features.
Here’s a look at some of the features of DooMRecovery:
- FULL TOUCH interface
- Swipe gesture support!!! – the hotspot for this is across full screen
- swipe left to GO BACK/ Scroll UP
- swipe right to Scroll Down
- Honeycomb themed
- Haptic feedback
- Shows current time (time when the recovery was entered/started)
- Uses new Roboto FONT (from latest CWM repo)
- New “select update.zip menu”: it will give u a new option – “show file details” – which will display the size (in bytes) and the MD5SUM of the selected file
- Added advanced reboot menu.
- Added “advanced backup” menu, now u can selectively choose which partitions to back up.
- Changed “wipe data/factory reset” option to just “factory reset”, and detailed the partitions which will be wiped
- Changed text of most menus to fit the new honeycomb inspired design
Work on DooMRecovery is currently under progress, and it will be released once custom kernels start coming out for the Xperia S. Until then, we can only wait and hope it comes out soon enough. For further information on DooMRecovery, head over to the official development page on XDA, where you’ll also find the download links when the recovery is actually released. Do share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.