ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery for Transformer Prime
The almighty Transformer Prime just got a shot in the arm. ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery has been released for the Prime, thanks to the awesome devs of the XDA community. Asus recently released the bootloader unlock tool for the Prime, and it didn’t take much time for the modding community to come up with CWM for it soon after.
As most of you know already, CWM is used to flash custom ROMs and other custom hacks on Android devices, so the availability of CWM for the Transformer Prime should see custom ROMs coming out for it in full force now.
There’s one caveat however. CWM for the Transformer Prime currently uses the internal SD card, so you won’t be able to mount USB storage or use the micro SD card when in recovery, though that is a negligible issue when you compare it with the advantages.
Read on to find out how to get CWM recovery on your Transformer Prime.
This guide is applicable only for the Asus Transformer Prime. Check your phone’s version in Settings – About Phone under “Pad EC version”. It has to be TF201 for this procedure to be compatible with your phone. If it’s not TF201, please do not try this.
Read everything carefully and thoroughly. The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!
- A bootloader-unlocked Asus Transformer Prime.
- [Optional] While this procedure will NOT erase your apps and data, it’s always good to make a backup before attempting such procedures. Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery. At least 50% is recommended.
- USB drivers for the Transformer Prime installed on your computer.
How to Install CWM Recovery on Transformer Prime
- Download fastboot from → here.
- Extract the downloaded file wintools.zip to drive C on your computer to get a folder named ‘Tools’.
- Download the CWM Image from → here.
Filename: tfp_CWM5.SOS | Size: 5 MB
- Copy the file tfp_CWM5.SOS downloaded in step 3 to the Tools folder you obtained in step 2. Check the screenshot below to make sure you have all the files in the right place.
- Turn off your Prime, then boot into fastboot. To do this, power on the device with the Volume Down button pressed till you see some text appear on the screen, then let it go to boot into fastboot.
- Connect the Prime to your PC.
- Open the command prompt on the PC from Start » Accessories » Command Prompt.
- Now, in Command Prompt, type the following commands, pressing Enter after each command (Check the screenshot after step 8.4 for reference)
- Wait for a while till the recovery is flashed on your Transformer.
- After the flashing procedure is finished, type “fastboot reboot” to reboot your Transformer Prime.
That’s it. If all went well, you should now have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your Asus Transformer Prime. Share your thoughts on your experience in the comments below.