AT&T’s decision to not allow customers to unlock the bootloader on the One X hasn’t stopped the geniuses in the custom Android development world from doing so. Just a few hours after the bootloader was unofficially unlocked, ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery has been released for the AT&T One X, by Paul O’Brien from MoDaCo. CWM recovery allows you to install custom ROMs, kernels, modifications, etc., so it’s something that’s a must-have for those looking to flash custom stuff on their device.
You need to unlock the bootloader on your AT&T One X before you can flash CWM recovery. The bootloader unlock process for the AT&T One X is quite complex, so make you are comfortable with it before attempting to do anything.
Let’s take a look at how CWM recovery can be installed on the AT&T One X.
This guide is applicable only for AT&T One X. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CWM Recovery on AT&T One X
- Your phone’s bootloader must be unlocked. Head over to this link to find out how you can unlock the bootloader.
- Download the recovery package.
Download Recovery | Alternate Link | Filename: installrecovery.zip
- Extract the installrecovery.zip file to any folder on your computer (using a software like WinZip or 7-zip).
- Connect the phone to the computer. If possible, plug your phone’s USB cable into the back of your computer if you’re using a desktop PC.
- Enable USB Debugging on the phone from Settings → Development options (make sure it is checked).
- Also, drag down the status/notification bar on the phone, click on USB Connection type, then select Charge Only.
- Now, open the folder where you extracted the zip file on the computer in step 3. Then, double-click on the install.bat file to start the flashing the recovery.
- The phone will reboot a few times, then CWM recovery will be installed on your AT&T One X.
Congratulations, CWM recovery is now installed on your AT&T One X, and you can install the custom ROMs and mods that your heart desires. Let us know how it works for you in the comments below.