CleanRom Custom ROM for Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [Guide]
Meet CleanRom, the first custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (P5113) to hit the custom ROM development scene, by XDA member sgrant. CleanRom removes a lot of the bloatware and unnecessary apps on the device (including useless bookmarks) to provide you a clean ROM, just like the name itself suggests. It is also rooted, deodexed and zip-aligned to provide a faster and smoother experience.
This is just the first version of the ROM, so it doesn’t have too many custom features. However, more and more should get added as time goes by, to make your Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 even better.
Let’s take a look at how CleanRom ROM can be installed on your Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, model number P5113. It’s not compatible with other Galaxy Tab variants or with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CleanROM on Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (P5113)
- Install ClockworkMod recovery on your Tab 2 10.1 by using the guide → here (you can skip the rooting part i.e Part III of the recovery guide as this ROM is already rooted).
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official download page.
- Copy the zip file downloaded in step 2 to the microSD (external) card on the tablet.
- Turn off the tablet. Then, boot into ClockworkMod recovery by pushing and holding the Power and Volume Down (Volume Down button is the one next to the power button) buttons at the same time. When the Samsung Tab 2 10.1 logo appears you can release the power button but continue holding the volume button for a few more seconds. After a few seconds, CWM recovery will show up.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to navigate/scroll and the power button to select items.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into the ROM. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
CleanRom is now installed on your Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.