One of the best things about AOKP ROM, apart from its performance and customization options, is that its fully open source, letting developers build AOKP based ROMs for different devices as and when they please. Black Infinitum AOKP is a new AOKP based ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S2, which brings you a very cool and attractive black and white theme which just looks damn good due to the deep blacks made possible by the Super AMOLED Plus screen on the Galaxy S2. Of course, like all other AOKP ROMs, it’s based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3.
Read on to find out how you can install the Black Infinitum AOKP ROM on your Galaxy S2.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number I9100. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → Razer(x)
- A rooted Galaxy S2 i9100 with ClockworkMod recovery installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps and data (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry). So backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Make sure your Galaxy S2 is sufficiently charged, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install Black Infinitum AOKP on Galaxy S2
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development thread.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the root of your internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP+Home+Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power/home key to select an option.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Restore your backup using the restore option when needed.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install ______.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now repeat step 7, but this time select the Google apps package file gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
Black Infinitum AOKP ROM is now installed and running on your Galaxy S2 i9100, with Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 underneath and a beautiful B&W theme on top. Visit the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.