Quite a few people who own a Samsung device and flash a lot of custom ROMs have ran across one recurring problem while flashing those custom ROMs. The EFS folder – which contains data such as the IMEI number of the device – gets erased sometimes removing or altering the original IMEI, which results in the device having no network access.
One way to solve this is to flash back to a stock firmware, which recreates the IMEI and the EFS folder, but another simpler and faster method is to simply backup the EFS folder manually and restore it later in case it gets erased. That’s where the tool EFS Pro – by XDA Recognized Developer lyriquidperfection – comes in. EFS Pro makes an automatic backup of the EFS folder on any Samsung device, and also restores it automatically and rebuilds the IMEI of the device if it gets erased. And EFS Pro has now got a major update, including support for the newly released Galaxy S3.
Here are some of the important features of EFS Pro:
- Supports Backup and Restore of Partition Image (*.img) and Compressed TAR Archive (*.tar) formats.
- Automatically detects saved EFS Backups on Device and PC for hassle free restoring.
- Attempt NV Recovery – Restores NV Data from ‘*.bak’ files if they exist to fix corrupt or incorrect IMEI number.
- Supports Multiple Backup handling.
- Automatic detection and termination of SAMSUNG Kies application on startup.
- Automatically Re-Mounts ‘/efs’ folder with Read/Write permissions during restore for users ‘stuck’ with Read Only permissions.
So, go ahead and download EFS Pro from its official development page here and backup your EFS folder, so that you don’t need to worry about the IMEI getting erased or having to flash a stock firmware just to get it back. Let us know how it works!