AOKP – a custom ROM well-known for its huge amount of customization options – is out for the AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket but is based on Jelly Bean, the latest version of Android with features such as a smoother as butter interface, advanced voice recognition, smarter keyboard, and a lot of other changes and improvements. Couple that with the AOKP and its customization options and you get a very good ROM for your device.
NOTE: The ROM is in a very early stage of development and not suitable for daily use yet, so there are quite a few issues with a lot of thinks not working, so consider this only a preview of Jelly Bean. Also, AOKP is in an early stage so do not expect to see many customization options of AOKP to be present in the ROM in the beginning.
Continue reading for the instructions on you can flash AOKP ROM on your AT&T Skyrocket.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, model number SGH-I727. It’s not compatible with any other device, including other US variants of S2, the Epic 4G Touch, and AT&T Galaxy S2. Check your device’s model number in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on AT&T Skyrocket
- Important! You must use the touch enabled CWM recovery to install this ROM on your phone. Use the guide here to install touch CWM on your Skyrocket.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market/Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip
- Download the DarkSide Super Wipe file, which will be used to wipe the necessary partitions on the phone before installing the ROM
Download Link | Filename: DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip
- Download the superuser root package, required to root the ROM.
Download Root | Filename: SuperSU-0.93-Busybox-1.20.2.zip
- Copy the 4 zip files downloaded in steps 3, 4, 5 and 6 to the internal SD card on the phone (do not extract them).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into CWM recovery. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until Samsung’s screen shows up: Volume UP + Volume Down + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes to wipe the necessary partitions.
- After installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu by selecting go back. Then, select mounts and storage, then select format cache, followed by selecting Yes on the next screen. After format is complete, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After Gapps installation is complete, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the SuperSU-0.93-Busybox-1.20.2.zip file to install the root package to root the ROM.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into AOKP ROM. The first boot will take some time, up to 5-7 minutes, so be patient.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
AOKP based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.