After the disappointment that the US version of the HTC One X came with a dual-core Snapdragon processor instead of the quad-core Tegra 3 processor in the international variant, AT&T struck another blow by announcing that the bootloader on the One X on AT&T/Rogers won’t be unlock-able. What does this mean? It means that traditional methods of rooting do not work on the device, and people won’t be able to install custom ROMs on it, at least not until an unofficial method of unlocking the bootloader is released.
However, thanks to the Nacho root exploit developed by XDA Recognized Developer jcase, full root access has been achieved on the AT&T One X. This guide will walk you through the steps required to root your shiny new AT&T/Rogers One X.
So, read on to find out how to obtain root access on your AT&T/Rogers One X.
This guide is compatible only and only with the AT&T/Rogers HTC One X. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Root AT&T/Rogers One X
- Download and install the HTC mobile phone drivers on your computer (only for Windows, not needed for Linux or Mac).
- Download the root package from either of the download links below.
Download Link 1 OR Download Link 2 OR Download Link 3 | Filename: root-one-x.zip
- Extract the root-one-x.zip file to a convenient location on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging on your HTC One X from Settings » Developer Options » USB debugging on the phone.
- Connect the phone to the computer using the USB cable.
Recommended: Plug your device’s USB cable into the back of your computer if you’re using a desktop PC as the USB ports on the front can cause problems.
- Then, double-click the root.bat file obtained after extracting the root-one-x.zip file in step 3 to start the rooting procedure.
Note: Linux and Mac users can run the root-linux.sh and root-mac.sh files respectively.
- The phone will reboot a number of times and then you will have full root access.
Congratulations. Your AT&T/Rogers HTC One X is now fully rooted. Root access can be given to apps that require it by pressing the Grant/Allow button whenever prompted. Let us know if you run into any problems, and we’ll help you out.