The recently released Motorola Atrix 2 just got a custom recovery out. Like on other Motorola android devices, this one is also a bootstrap recovery, made using components of Droid Bionic’s bootstrap recovery and world-famous very original ClockWorkMod recovery.
You need a custom recovery to flash/install custom roms, theme, backup your current firmware/rom, restore backups, and lot more cool things. And whether you are a seasoned flasher or not, you would simply love this stuff.
[warning]The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!![/warning]
[Guide] Installing Custom Recovery on Atrix 2
- Make sure your phone is rooted.
- Download the apk file of recovery’s app from the source here.
- Transfer the file to phone, if you downloaded it on PC.
- On phone, go to Settings » Applications » Select the ‘Unknown sources’ checkbox. Press OK when asked. Press Home key and get to home screen. This allows you install non-market apps. On Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and above, go to Settings » Security to find this option.
- Using a file manager, go to the folder where you transferred it (or Download folder, if downloaded on phone), and tap on it. Installation will begin, just continue and install the app.
- A “Atrix 2 Bootstrapper” app will appear in your phone’s app drawer. Open the app, then press the “Bootstrap Recovery” button to install the recovery.
- When prompted, press the Allow/Grant button to grant the app root access, after which the phone will reboot into recovery.
- Now, whenever you need to boot into recovery, open the “Atrix 2 Bootstrapper” app and press the Reboot recovery button.