The Samsung Captivate and Samsung Vibrant android phones have just received a new ROM in the form of Asnet MIUI, a modified MIUI 4 rom, based on Ice Cream Sandwich aka Android 4.0.3. Asnet MIUI 4 rom for Captivate and Vibrant has been ported over from the original Galaxy S I9000 port that we covered a few days ago.
So get your Cappy/Vibrant out, and read on to find out how to flash this beautiful ROM on your phone.
This guide is applicable only for Samsung’s Galaxy Captivate I897 and the Galaxy Vibrant T959. Check your phone’s version in Settings – About Phone. It has to be “T959″ or “I897″ for this procedure to be compatible with your phone. If it’s not I897 or T959, simply do not try this.
Read everything carefully and thoroughly. The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!
- Samsung Captivate/Samsung Vibrant with Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery installed.
- Installing/flashing this ROM will erase your apps and data. So, it’s a very important you back them up before proceeding further. To backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. this Android backup guide would help you. Restore APN settings if Internet isn’t working for you, after installing the rom. Your SD cards will not be erased, so don’t worry about those.
- Make sure your phone is sufficiently charged, at least 50% is recommended.
Here’s a list of bugs currently plaguing the rom (as of Feb 13, 2012, version 1.3):
- Gallery cant see external SD pics (use Quickpic from Market)
- MIUI Musıc cant play external SD mp3 (use TTPod)
- MIUI File Manager can’t see external SD files (use Root Browser)
- External SD cannot be mounted to PC
- No signal strength shown in Settings>About Phone>Status
- “Disable power button on lockscreen” does not work.
How to Install Asnet MIUI 4 on Samsung Captivate/Vibrant
- Remove sim card lock, if you set it earlier. Go here: Settings » Location and Security » Sim card lock » checkbox should be clear (not selected).
- Download the Asnet MIUI ROM file from the Original Development Page (Check this for latest version of the rom available for download, and changes/improvements made in the rom). Btw, It’s one rom file for both AT&T Captivate and T-Mobile Vibrant. As of Feb 13, 2012, the current version is 1.3: Download Link | Filename: Asnet.MIUI.4.Cappy.v1.3.0.zip | Size: 129 MB
- Transfer the rom’s zip file (do not extract it) that you downloaded above in step 2 to your phone’s internal sdcard (don’t use external sdcard/microSD). Remember the location where you transfer the file.
- Power off your phone. Wait for 5-6 seconds until you feel the vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Then, press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up, Volume Down, & the Power button till the Galaxy logo shows up on screen, and let buttons go then. You’ll boot into CWM recovery soon enough. In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the next screen. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete. (this will NOT ERASE your SD card, don’t worry).
- Select wipe cache partition, then select “Yes” on the next screen.
- Now, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”, then scroll to the file you transferred in step 3 above and select it. Then select “Yes — Install Asnet.MIUI.4.Cappy.v1.3.0.zip”.
- Your phone will reboot into recovery after a few seconds, then continue installing the ROM. It will reboot again after the ROM installation is finished.
However, if it simply reboots into recovery the first time and does nothing, again select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”, then scroll to the file you transferred in step 5 above and select it. Then select “Yes, Install ____.zip”. After installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now”.
- The first boot will take some time, so be patient for 10 mins. When your phone boots up, you’ll have modified MIUI 4, based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3, called Asnet MIUI. Check out in settings » about phone. Enjoy, and thank the developer, vibranturk, who ported it for you.
- However, if after 10 minutes the rom doesn’t boot up, then do this: Remove the battery, Reinsert it after 2-3 seconds, Boot into recovery, and do steps 7 and 8 again after which reboot it.
That’s it, the ROM is now installed and you can enjoy MIUI 4 on your AT&T Samsung Captivate or T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant, whichever it is. Share your thoughts and problems in the comments if any, and we’ll do our best to help you out.