Galaxy Note owners recently got a taste of Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0.3 unofficially, in the form of a leaked firmware from Samsung. It was of course running Samsung’s custom TouchWiz UI on top, which while adding some useful features does take away the fun of stock ICS, which in itself is great both visually and in usability.
Well, for all those out there that would rather prefer ICS without the TouchWiz customization can finally get it thanks to Imilka ICS, an AOSP based ROM built from sources that provides you the stock ICS experience akin to Cyanogenmod, but without any modifications or changes to stock Android.
However, there are still a couple of bugs and issues present in the ROM, both major and minor, so you’ll have to decide whether you want to try the ROM after checking the list of issues (given below in ROM Info). For those who do want to give it a spin, let’s get on with the flashing procedure.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with Galaxy Note, model number N7000. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
Developer → imilka
- MAJOR: Video playback doesn’t work properly. It basically plays, but like a slideshow. Will be fixed ASAP.
- MAJOR: Video recording (camcorder) doesn’t work too for same reason. Camera (taking pictures) working properly.
- MINOR: USB File transfer doesn’t work, will be fixed soon.
- MINOR: Stock camera takes pictures only in 3MP. Seems to be software bug. Use any other camera software.
- MINOR: External sdcard mounts manually. You’ll be able to access it in /emmc but it won’t be automatically recognized by system.
- NOTE: If you’ll reboot your device it will reboot TWICE and dalvik-cache will be cleared. This is temporary (and very stupid, but it works) workaround for some problem. It doesn’t affect any functionality, but does affect boot time. Will be fixed ASAP too.
- Important! You must be running ICS firmware i9220LP1 on your Galaxy Note and have Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) installed.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Imilka ICS ROM on Galaxy Note:
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the file downloaded in step 1 to your internal sdcard (NOT the external microSD).
- Turn off your phone, then boot into Clockworkmod recovery (CWM).
- Using the Volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Power button to select, select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard from step 2 and select it. The ROM will now start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
- NOTE: If the phone is stuck at the first boot, reboot the phone by holding down the power button till it reboots. The ROM should boot after this.
[Optional] Enable Capacitive Buttons
The ROM disables the capacitive menu buttons on the Galaxy Note as it includes the onscreen Ice Cream Sandwich buttons. However, for those that want to enable them again, do the following:
- Download the capacitive buttons fix.
Download Link | Filename: softbuttons.zip
- Transfer the file downloaded in step 1 to your internal SD card.
- Boot into CWM recovery.
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the file softbuttons.zip and select it.
- After the install completes, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone. You should now have the capacitive buttons enabled again.
That’s it! The Imilka ICS ROM is now installed on your Galaxy Note and you can start enjoying the stock ICS experience on it. Follow the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.