Update (April 2, 2012): AOKP for AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 has come a long way and with the latest update, there is one really very good piece of news from all users of this phone — the video recording on the AOKP now works!
Video recording, as a matter of fact, remains a big hurdle on all Samsung phones with al AOSP roms, and it generally takes lots of time till dev community is able to get it to work, quite rightly because it’s a big thing. And it’s also one of the things that put people off from using AOSP roms like AOKP as a daily use rom. But no more, AT&T Galaxy S2 users can use the AOKP rom now as their daily driver, and say thanks at the original development page linked in step 1 below.
Original article below:
AOKP ROM, an AOSP custom ROM based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 seems to be conquering a lot of devices each passing day, as more and more devices get an AOKP port. The latest to join the party is the AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-i777, the AT&T branded sibling of the international Galaxy S2 i9100, thanks to a port by XDA developer Fenny.
AOKP ROM brings a stock Android experience with fast performance, and a level of customization not seen on other ROMs. It’s built entirely from source, so you will find no manufacturer-added stuff like custom UIs etc on AOKP.
The ROM is in beta stage so exercise caution while trying it out, as it still has bugs and issues present, which should be resolved as time goes by. Read on to find out how to flash AOKP ROM on your AT&T Galaxy S2 i777.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2, model number SGH-i777. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
- Important! A rooted AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 with Clockworkmod recovery installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to flash AOKP ROM on AT&T Galaxy S2 i777
- Download the latest version of AOKP ROM from the original development page.
- Also download the gapps from the above page. You’ll need this to install Google Apps (Gmail, Google Play, etc.) on your phone which don’t come pre-installed with the rom itself, and have to be flashed separately, as said in step 10 below.
- Transfer the zip files you downloaded in step 1 and 2 to your internal sdcard (not the external microSD).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, hold both volume buttons and the power button for about 10 seconds and then release all three when you see the Galaxy S II logo disappear and reappear. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option in recovery.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select “backup and restore” –> On the next screen, Select Backup again. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now, select “wipe data/factory reset”. Then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. (This will not touch your SD cards so don’t worry).
- Then, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Then, browse to the ROM file and select it.
- Confirm installation on the next screen by selecting the option “Yes — Install *your_rom_name*.zip“. The ROM will now start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now repeat step 7, but this time select the Google apps package file you download in step 2 above to install the Google apps.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
- That;s it. Let us know if you need any help with anything discussed here.
That’s it. AOKP ROM based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 is now installed on your AT&T Galaxy S2 i777. Follow the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.