AOKP – the most popular custom ROM around after CyanogenMod and famous for its vast amount of customization options – is currently making a transition into Jelly Bean from Ice Cream Sandwich. The AOKP team recently uploaded the source for AOKP for the community, using which XDA Senior Member gmillz has released a AOKP based ROM for the Asus Transformer TF300T, though with only a few customization options included right now.
NOTE: The ROM is in a very early stage of development and not suitable for daily use yet, so there are quite a few issues with a lot of thinks not working, so consider this only a preview of Jelly Bean. Also, AOKP is in an early stage so do not expect to see many customization options of AOKP to be present in the ROM in the beginning.
Here’s a list of things that work/do not work currently (the most updated list can be found on the development page linked in the guide):
What doesn’t work:
ROM CONTROL – aokp hasn’t finished the source for this yet
Read on for the instructions on how to flash AOKP on your ASUS Transformer TF300T.
This guide is applicable only for Asus Transformer TF300T. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP ROM on Asus Transformer TF300T
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery using the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Copy the zip file downloaded in step 3 to the internal SD card (without extracting it).
- Shut down the tablet. Then boot into CWM recovery. To do that, press and hold Volume Down + Power, until a message appears on-screen saying “Press Vol. Up to enter RCK (5s)”. Here, in less than 5 seconds, press the Volume Up button to enter CWM recovery.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to navigate/scroll and the power button to select.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete (this will not erase your personal files).
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into AOKP. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your Asus Transformer TF300T. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.
You can also try out CM10 for the TF300T → here.