The One S has finally joined the ranks of devices that have the Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 based AOKP ROM running on it. XDA Recognized Contributor Reviewers has released JollyRancher ROM based on AOKP, which brings faster performance and a high amount of customization options, without HTC’s Sense UI or any other bloatware apps included, for a pure stock Android experience.
Let’s take a look at how JollyRancher AOKP ROM can be installed on your HTC One S.
This guide is applicable only for HTC One S. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install JollyRancher AOKP ROM on HTC One S
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Unlock the bootloader on your One S by following the bootloader unlocking guide for the HTC One X → here. Procedures for both One S and One X are the same, so simply follow what the One X guide says to unlock the bootloader.
- Install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Copy the downloaded .zip file to the SD card on the phone.
- Open the downloaded zip file and extract the boot.img file from inside it (use a software like WinZip or 7-zip to extract).
- Download fastboot.
Download Fastboot | Filename: Fastboot.zip
- Extract the Fastboot.zip file to the C:\ drive on your computer to get a folder named Fastboot with four files inside it.
- Copy the boot.img file extracted in step 6 to the Fastboot folder on C drive. You should have 5 files in the Fastboot folder now.
- Switch off the phone. Enter fastboot mode. For that, boot into the bootloader mode first by holding the Volume Down button and then pressing power key. Then, select fastboot mode from there using the volume buttons to navigate and power button to select. Then connect your phone to the computer once you are in fastboot mode.
- Open Command Prompt on your computer from Start » All Programs » Accessories.
- Now, type the following commands in command prompt to flash the kernel, pressing Enter after each command (Check the screenshot after step 13.3 for reference).
- After the kernel is flashed, you’ll get a finished/OKAY message in command prompt.
- Disconnect your phone from the PC.
- Now, on your phone select ‘HBOOT’ using the Power button. And then select ‘RECOVERY’ to boot into recovery mode.
Use volume buttons to scroll up and down and the power button to select options in bootloader menu and recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it.
- Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into JollyRancher ROM.
JollyRancher AOKP ROM is now installed on your HTC One S. Visit the official development page for more information and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.