AOKP ROM is an Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 based custom ROM that brings fast performance and great customizability to Android devices, and is available for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, thanks to XDA Senior Member nycbjr, who has ported it unofficially to the Tab 2. Find out more about AOKP ROM → here.
Keep in mind that even though the ROM is reported to be stable, it’s still under development so there may be a few bugs and issues present and some things may not work correctly.
Let’s take a look at how AOKP ROM can be installed on your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, model number P3110/P3113. It’s not compatible with other Galaxy Tab 10.1 variants or with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP ROM on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
- Install ClockworkMod recovery on your Tab 2 7.0 by using the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official download page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gs-gapps-v3.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 2 and 3 to the microSD (external) card on the tablet.
- Turn off the tablet. Then, boot into ClockworkMod recovery by pushing and holding the Power and Volume Down (Volume Down button is the one next to the power button) buttons at the same time. When the Samsung Tab 2 10.1 logo appears you can release the power button but continue holding the volume button for a few more seconds. After a few seconds, CWM recovery will show up.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to navigate/scroll and the power button to select items.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gs-gapps-v3.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into AOKP ROM. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
AOKP ROM is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.