Well, CM9 for Galaxy S3 was released yesterday, and now much to the enjoyment of flashing community with a Galaxy S3 in hand, the AOKP rom is also available. Thanks goes to Faryaab for this, who is well known to community for his awesome F1 roms of which he’s developer and founder. So yes, this AOKP is not official one right now, but it’s as good as official would be if it’s released right now. We think the official build will be released soon, and it could also turn out that that this build of Faryaab is given the official status.
Since AOKP roms are based on their CM9 counterpart — just like MIUI roms used to be earlier, but some some MIUI roms are based on stock too now, for example One X MIUI rom — it’s only a matter of time that AOKP arrived for Galaxy S3 after Cyanogenmod 9 did. And btw, the latest version of AOKP rom is Build 39, and this Galaxy S3 AOKP is that only, the latest and most updated one.
And since it’s based on CM9, the Galaxy S3 AOKP rom shares (read: suffers with) same bugs as that of CM9. Here’s it:
The only bugs this AOKP rom for Galaxy S3 comes with, as of June 18, 2012, are: FM Radio not supported, LED cannot be used in Camera which causes Force Closes on some phones (all other camera things work just fine) and lastly, Wi-Fi connection issues for some, for which there is a working fix too until the bug itself is ironed out completely. So, no deal-breaker bugs with this Galaxy S3 AOKP build, just go ahead and install it using the instructions set below on the Galaxy S3 i9300 near you. Check out the Known Issues page here for updated list of bugs as the development goes on and new builds come out.
This guide is applicable only for Samsung Galaxy S3 international version GT-i9300 — one with Exynos quad-core processor and 1GB RAM. It is NOT for Galaxy S3 at Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, US Cellular and any other Canadian Galaxy S3. Check your phone’s version in Settings – About Phone. It has to be “GT-i9300” for this AOKP rom to be compatible with your phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
How to Install AOKP on Galaxy S3 i9300
Here’s the installation guide to install the AOKP rom on your Galaxy S3.:
- Even though not a strict requirement, it’s very much recommended that you install Cyanogenmod 9 (CM9) on your Galaxy S3 first. Return to this page after you’ve got the CM9 installed on your S3.
[Otherwise, AOKP can be installed without installing CM9 too. Just install the Clockworkmod recovery on Galaxy S3 from here, and then jump to step 2 right below. The guide which remains same in this case too, nothing changes.]
- Download the Galaxy S3 AOKP rom now from the Faryaab’s development page here: LINK. (This file will be flashed in step 8 below.)
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the AOKP rom by default. (This file will be flashed in step 9 below.)
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Connect phone to PC and transfer the two zip files you downloaded in step 2 and 3 to your Galaxy S3, on the internal sdcard that shows up on PC upon connecting.
- Disconnect the phone from PC. And power off the phone, wait till it vibrates and the two capacitive lights (Menu and Back keys) go off — to confirm complete power off.
- Now, boot into clockworkmod recovery — for this, press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up + Home + Power until you see Samsung logo on screen, upon which you can release them buttons. You’ll enter recovery mode soon enough. (Use volume keys to browse between options in recovery while power key to select to select an option.)
- [Optional] It’s recommended you create a backup from the clockworkmod recovery your phone is in right now, using the option Backup and Restore » select backup from internal sdcard. You can restore this backup to get everything to normal in case something turns out bad. You just need cwm recovery for this, which you always get from the link above, in step 1.
- Wipe stuff now to prepare for installation of AOKP on Galaxy S3:
- Do Wipe Data/Factory Reset — select the option and then select yes on next screen to confirm it.
- Do Wipe Cache Partition – select the option and then select yes on next screen to confirm it.
- Go to advanced and do Wipe Dalvik Cache — select the option and then select yes on next screen to confirm it.
- Flash the AOKP on Galaxy S3. Now, from the main menu in recovery, select the option install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from internal sdcard, and then browse to folder location where you transferred the 2 files in step 4 above, then select the AOKP rom file (which you downloaded in step 2 above). Select Yes – Install _____.zip on next screen to start flashing it. Flashing of AOKP will be started.
- Now, you need to flash the Google Apps too. So, after step 9 is finished and you are back to recovery, go back to the recovery’s main menu. Select the option install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from internal sdcard, and then browse to folder location where you transferred the 2 files in step 4 above, then select the Gapps file (which you downloaded in step 3 above) . Select Yes – Install _____.zip on next screen to start flashing it. Once gapps have been flashed, go back to recovery’s main menu.
- Select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into awesome AOKP rom.
- It’s already rooted and had cwm recovery too, so you’re done.
Share your thoughts on the Galaxy S3 AOKP rom, and let us know how much you are liking it. And in case you need any assistance in flashing the AOKP on your Galaxy S3, let us know using the comments section below.