An unofficial build of AOKP ROM has been released for the Samsung Galaxy S, which has already got a few Jelly Bean ROMs. AOKP is a custom ROM that brings many customization options as well as improved performance over stock ROMs and is currently on its way to shifting the base from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean, and you can now try it out on your Galaxy S I9000.
NOTE: This is only a preview build of AOKP and an alpha release, so while most of the things should work properly, there may be some bugs and issues present. Also, don’t expect to find many customization options from AOKP to be present here, as those haven’t been added to the AOKP Jelly Bean code yet.
Let’s see how AOKP ROM can be installed on your Galaxy S.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy S, model number i9000. It’s not compatible the GT-i9003 or with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S i9000
NOTE: If you are already running an Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on your phone, you DO NOT need to perform steps 3 and 4 below and can skip to step 5 after step 2.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Remove sim card lock, if you have set it earlier. Go here: Settings » Location and Security » Sim card lock » checkbox should be clear (not selected).
- Flash the stock XXJW4 firmware by using → this guide.
- Root XXJW4 to obtain Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) by using → this guide.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file (as it is without extracting) to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off your Galaxy S and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Home buttons while powering on the phone. When the screen turns on, let go of all three buttons. The phone will boot up into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After installation of the ROM is complete, go back to the main recovery menu. Then, select advanced, then select Fix permissions. Then, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into AOKP. First boot will take up to 5-7 minutes.
- Going back to stock ROM: To go back to a stock Samsung ROM again, you can flash the XXJW4 firmware by following the guide linked in step 3 above.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Galaxy S. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.