AOKP ROM for the Transformer Prime, based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3, which was in a beta stage until now, has now been updated to the latest version of AOKP, Milestone 4, which has made great strides in stability and fixing bugs. Now, you can enjoy the updated ROM on your Transformer Prime, thanks to recognized XDA developer jermaine151, who has also added some Asus widgets and apps like the Weather Widget, Battery Widget, Email Widget and Email client, MyWater Live Wallpaper, SuperNote and a few more. More features of the ROM can be read → here.
The ROM is stable, however, since AOKP is still under development, except some bugs to be present in the ROM, with the possibility of new unknown ones showing up as well as you continue use the tablet. But those bugs should be ironed out soon as AOKP development has shown a lot of improvements in the last few days.
Read on to find out how you can flash AOKP ROM on your Asus Transformer Prime.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Asus Transformer Prime, model number TF201. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About Tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → jermaine151
Not Working/Known Issues:
- Bluetooth is going to need a little TLC (Turns on and pairs but wouldn’t BT tether and soft rebooted)
- Will add as users test and report
- A rooted and bootloader unlocked Transformer Prime TF201 with Clockworkmod Recovery installed. Check this guide for rooting Honeycomb firmware and this page for rooting Ice Cream Sandwich firmware. Install Clockworkmod recovery by following the guide → here.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Make sure the battery is sufficiently charged. At least 50% is recommended.
How to Install AOKP ROM on Asus Transformer Prime
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development thread.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120304-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the root of your SD card on your tablet.
- Turn off the device and reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery. In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up and down and the power button to select options.
- Important! Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Restore your backup using the “restore” option when needed.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install *your_rom_name*.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now repeat step 7, but this time select the Google apps package file gapps-ics-20120304-signed.zip to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the tablet.
The latest AOKP ROM, based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 is now up and running on your Transformer Prime. Visit the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.