As if one great custom ROM in a day wasn’t enough, another one of the best custom ROMs available today for Android devices – AOKP ROM – has come out for the HTC Rezound. Based on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, AOKP is perhaps the most customizable ROM out there, with an option to tweak almost every part of the interface, as well as featuring fast performance and the pure Android 4.0 experience.
The ROM has been released by XDA Senior Member IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo, and is currently under development, so there may be a few issues present in the ROM. Currently, the following issues are present in the ROM, as quoted from the source page:
- Streaming video recording force closes for now like with Skype or Hangout (Gtalk)
Let’s take a look a how AOKP ROM can be installed on the HTC Rezound.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the HTC Rezound. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP ROM on HTC Rezound
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- [Important] Make sure you have
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the source page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Filename: AOSP_Neo_Gapps and Other Inverted Apps.zip
- Copy the ROM and Gapps files to the SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone. Boot into bootloader (HBOOT) by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons together. Here, using the volume buttons, navigate to the Recovery option and select it using the power button to enter CWM recovery.
In recovery, use volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select options.
- Select Wipe, then select Wipe all: userdata/factory reset on the next screen, followed by the Power button to confirm data wipe (if using TWRP recovery, select Wipe » Factory reset). This will not format your SD cards contents, so don’t worry about those. After wipe is complete, select Return to go back to the main menu (for TWRP, press the button in the bottom left corner of screen to go back to main menu).
- Then, select Flash zip menu, then select choose zip from sdcard (if using TWRP recovery, select Install). Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it, then confirm installation. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the AOSP_Neo_Gapps and Other Inverted Apps.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Return then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into AOKP ROM (for TWRP recovery, select Reboot system). The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, be patient.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is now installed and running on your HTC Rezound. Visit the source page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.