The development for the AT&T Galaxy S3 seems to be amping up, with two major custom ROMs being released for it at around the same time. After CM9, an unofficial port of AOKP ROM has now been released for the AT&T Galaxy S3, by XDA Senior Member smartguy044. AOKP features pure Android 4.0 without bloatware or custom manufacturer skins, along with fast performance and a plethora of customization options not found on any other ROM.
NOTE: AOKP ROM is in its early stages of development for the Galaxy S3 variants so expect a few bugs and issues along with some stuff that may not even work.
Let’s take a look at how AOKP ROM can be installed on the AT&T Galaxy S3.
This guide below is compatible only and only with the AT&T Galaxy S3. It’s not compatible with any other Galaxy S3, it only works for AT&T variant. Check your device’s model in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP on AT&T Galaxy S3
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery using the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card.
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, turn off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete (this will not erase your personal files).
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot your phone and boot into AOKP. First boot will take up to 5 minutes, so be patient and wait for the phone to boot up completely.
AOKP ROM is now installed on your AT&T Galaxy S3. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.