Ah, finally, we were beginning to wonder if the Samsung Fascinate had been forgotten in midst of the developer attention the other variants of the Galaxy S, like the Captivate or Vibrant are getting, but it seems it is not the case, as a Jelly Bean Android 4.1 ROM has come out for the Fascinate as well.
XDA Senior Member Stephen.k.spear has released AOKP ROM for the Fascinate, which brings you the latest version of Android unofficially. Jelly Bean is the fastest version of Android yet, with a smooth as butter interface, improved and actionable notifications, Google’s own take on Siri with the voice recognition based Google Now/Search, a great and smart keyboard, and lots more features. AOKP gives you all that plus fast performance and a lot of customization options that let you tweak the interface in many ways, along with an inbuilt theme chooser (themes for which can be found on the Play Store, search for “theme chooser theme”).
Keep in mind that this is not an official Samsung ROM. It’s a custom ROM that is under development and may have a few bugs and issues, and some things may not work properly and some stock Samsung ROM features will not be available.
NOTE, Please Read: Since this is an unofficial stock Android based ROM, some features like 3G video calling will be unavailable as those are only possible on stock Samsung ROMs (video calls using 3rd party apps like Skype will work fine though). Some other features such as an FM radio will be missing too, and some apps like camera may not be the same as on stock ROMs.
Let’s continue and look at the installation procedure for AOKP ROM on the Samsung Fascinate.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Fascinate, model number SCH-I500. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on Samsung Fascinate
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 2 and step 3 to the internal SD card. Do not extract them.
- Very Important! Make sure you have the fixed for CM7 version of ClockworkMod recovery on your phone. You can flash it on your phone by following the “Installing the ClockworkMod Recovery” instructions → here. Make sure to only do the “Installing the ClockworkMod Recovery” part, come back to this guide after that.
- Turn off the phone and boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do this, press and hold the Power + Volume Up + Volume Down buttons together till the Samsung logo appears the second time, then let go of the buttons to boot into recovery.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete. This will only delete installed apps and settings, but leave all personal files intact.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- The phone will reboot into recovery in the middle of installation and then continue installing the ROM. However, if it simply reboots but doesn’t continue installation, repeat step 8. OR, if the phone gets stuck at the boot animation after rebooting, remove the battery, re-insert it, boot into recovery, and then repeat step 8.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation of the Google apps package is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot into AOKP ROM. First boot will take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
AOKP ROM, based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your Samsung Fascinate. Visit the development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.