AOKP Android 4.0 ROM for HTC Desire
Here’s a new Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 based ROM for the HTC Desire, developed by XDA developer K900. Named ‘AOKP for Bravo’, it is an Android Open Kang Project ROM i.e it has been ported over from the ICS ROMs for the Nexus S. (Bravo is another name for the HTC Desire)
Keep in mind that this ROM is quite new and still under development, so bugs are to be expected. Read on for a look at the features of the ROM:
- Based on latest AOKP sources
- Live Wallpapers
- Weather Fixes and Improvements
- Light in size; most downloadable apps removed
- Power key can be used as shutter key in camera
- Toggle-able adb notification
Continue reading to find out how to flash this ROM on your HTC Desire.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!!!
This Rom and the guide below is compatible only and only with the HTC Desire. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
- Rooted HTC Desire with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Stock HBOOT.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install AOKP on HTC Desire
- Download the AOKP ROM file to your PC from → here [Filename: aokp-frankenbuild-4.zip | Size: 87 MB]
- Also download the Google Apps file from → here. [Filename: gapps-ics-20120207-signed.zip | Size: 44 MB]
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and 2 to the root of your external microSD card on the HTC Desire.
- Switch off your phone, and reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery (Hold Volume Down and the Power button, then use Volume Down to highlight “bootloader” and press the Power button to select it. Once in the bootloader, use Volume Down to select “recovery” and press the Power button to select)
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again.
- Perform a full Wipe.
- Wipe data / factory reset –> confirm Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen
- Wipe Cache Partition –> Confirm Wipe cache partition on the next screen
- From the main menu, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache–>Confirm Wipe Dalvik on the next screen
- Now scroll to “Install zip from sdcard” and select it.
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the file aokp-frankenbuild-4.zip on the sdcard and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes — Install “aokp-frankenbuild-4.zip”. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back”. Do not reboot the phone yet as we have to flash the Google apps package as well.
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard” again. Scroll to the file gapps-ics-20120207-signed.zip and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes — Install gapps-ics-20120207-signed.zip” to install Google apps such as Gmail, Market, etc.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- The first boot will take time, so wait a while for the phone to boot up, then enjoy AOKP ICS ROM on your HTC Desire. If you get force closes (FCs) and app errors after first boot, reboot phone again and then continue using the phone.
That’s it. The ROM is now installed on your phone. Visit the source link given below to find out more about the ROM. Share your thoughts and problems in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help you out.