HTC One X owning fans of CyanogenMod ROMs are anxiously waiting for the CyanogenMod team to add official support for CM9 for the One X. However, the TripNDroid Mobile Engineering team recently brought an unofficial CM9 ROM to the One X. Now, XDA Forum Member RevoCold has released his version of CM9 for the One X, based on the CM9 ROM by TripNDroid, adding his own tweaks and changes to the mix.
Noted below are the main differences between RevoCold and the CM9 ROM by TripNDroid:
- Google apps included
- Custom RIL files (for better network operation)
- CM9 camera app
- Custom phone app
The ROM is in development at this point, so you may encounter some bugs and issues that are not known yet. However, that is always the case with custom ROMs like CM9, so it shouldn’t stop your from trying RevoCold ROM out.
So, read on to find out how you can achieve improved performance, customization and a stock AOSP experience on your One X by install RevoCold ROM.
This guide is applicable only for HTC One X. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install RevoCold ROM on HTC One X
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Unlock the bootloader on your HTC One X by following the guide → here.
- Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) recovery by following the guide → here.
- Install the HTC Sync software to install the proper drivers for the phone. Download it here and install it on your computer.
Skip this step if you have HTC Sync/drivers installed on your computer already.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Also download the boot.img file from the official development page, which is the required kernel needed to run the ROM on the phone.
- Copy the ROM’s zip file downloaded in step 5 to the SD card on the phone, without extracting it.
- Download fastboot.
Download Fastboot | Filename: Fastboot.zip
- Extract the Fastboot.zip file to the C:\ drive on your computer to get a folder named Fastboot with four files inside it.
- Copy the boot.img file downloaded in step 6 to the Fastboot folder on C drive. You should have 5 files in the Fastboot folder now.
- Switch off the phone. Enter fastboot mode. For that, boot into the bootloader mode first by holding the Volume Down button and then pressing power key. Then, select fastboot mode from there using the volume buttons to navigate and power button to select. Then connect your phone to the computer once you are in fastboot mode.
- Open Command Prompt on your computer from Start » All Programs » Accessories.
- Now, type the following commands in command prompt to flash the kernel, pressing Enter after each command (Check the screenshot after step 13.3 for reference).
- After the kernel is flashed, you’ll get a finished/OKAY message in command prompt.
- Disconnect your phone from the PC.
- Now, on your phone select ‘HBOOT’ using the Power button. And then select ‘RECOVERY’ to boot into recovery mode.
Use volume buttons to scroll up and down and the power button to select options in bootloader menu and recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it.
- Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into RevoCold ROM.
The unofficial CM9 based RevoCold ROM is now installed on your HTC One X. Visit the official development page for more information and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.