With no guarantees or announcements from Samsung about when their Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablets will be getting the official Jelly Bean Android 4.1 updates, there’s always the choice of not having to wait thanks to Jelly Bean custom ROMs from the development community, which are now available for the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.
XDA Senior Member scottx . has released AOKP ROM (based on Jelly Bean) for the Tab 2 10.1 Wi-Fi-only US variant (P5113), which creates a great experience combining Android 4.1 features such as a smooth as butter interface, improved actionable notifications, advanced voice recognition with Google Now, etc along with the customization features of AOKP and its fast performance.
Keep in mind that this is not an official Samsung ROM but an unofficial custom ROM that is in development, and it may have a few issues present and some things may not work properly. Also, since this is an unofficial custom stock Android ROM, Samsung specific features will not be present in it and some apps like the camera may be different.
Continue reading to find out how Jelly Bean based AOKP ROM can be installed on the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5113.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Wi-Fi US Variant, model number P5113. It’s not compatible with other devices or other Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 variants. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP ROM on Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5113
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if mobile data doesn’t work.
- Install ClockworkMod Touch recovery on your tablet by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Turn off the tablet. Then, boot into ClockworkMod recovery by pushing and holding the Power and Volume Down (Volume Down button is the one next to the power button) buttons at the same time. When the Samsung Tab 2 10.1 logo appears you can release the power button but continue holding the volume button for a few more seconds. After a few seconds, CWM recovery will show up.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete. This will only delete installed apps and settings and will not erase any personal files on your SD card.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the tablet into AOKP ROM.
NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM if needed, boot into recovery (the same way you did in step 7), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Wi-Fi P5113. Visit the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.