Cheers Sprint S6 Edge users! The much coveted TWRP recovery is finally available for your device, and it’s fully working on 5.1.1 update on Sprint S6 Edge. Even the latest OFE update is not an issue.
This trips KNOX! Installing the TWRP recovery will void your device’s warranty, as it will trip the KNOX flag you see in Odin/download mode, from 0x0 to 0x1. But if you want TWRP recovery, and easy root solution, and Xposed and Titanium backup, then go for it! Credit for the working 5.1.1 TWRP recovery goes to ram9200, thanks a lot!
Installing the TWRP on 5.1.1 update on your S6 Edge at Sprint is easy. It involves one simple flash from Odin PC software. With TWRP recovery, you can create full nandroid backup of your device, so that in case you mess up with the device, you can always restore the backup to get back to exact state of the phone at the time of backup.
If your Sprint S6 Edge is still running Android 5.0 build, then get TWRP here.
How to Install Sprint Galaxy S6 Edge TWRP Recovery on 5.1.1 update
- SPRINT GALAXY S6 EDGE, model no. SM-G925P
- Don’t try on any other Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge set!
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever!
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
- Download the Odin software and TWRP recovery file from above.
- Install Galaxy S6 Edge drivers (method 1 there!) first of all. Double click the .exe file of drivers to begin installation. (Not required if you have already done this.)
- Disable Reactivation lock. This is very important! For this:
- Go to Settings > Lock screen and security > Find my mobile.
- Disable the Reactivation lock if it’s enabled, using the toggle button.
Tip: If you haven’t added a Samsung account on your device ever, you would find it disabled by default. But if you did add a Samsung account anytime, it would be enabled most probably, so take care to disable it. If you are unable to this on phone, you can use Samsung’s website for this, just sign-in, go to Find my mobile section, and then disable from there. If you still can’t do this, do ask me via comments section below.
- Enable OEM Unlocking. It’s important and you need this to be able to flash anything on your S6/S6 Edge (not all S6 sets have this, btw) using Odin software after Android 5.1.1 update. Do this:
- Go to Settings > About device. Tap on build no. around 7 times until you get ‘You’re now a developer’ message.
- Go back to settings, and tap on ‘Developer options’.
- Now, find the ‘OEM unlocking’ option, and use its toggle button to enable it. → If you don’t find this option, then that’s okay, no need to worry about it, just proceed to next step. Because, only some devices, mainly the sets in USA, have got it. It’s good to not have it anyway.
- Disconnect your Sprint S6 Edge from PC if it is connected.
- Boot Sprint S6 Edge into download mode:
- Power off your Sprint S6 Edge. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons Volume down + Power + Home together until you see warning screen.
- Press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
- Extract the Odin file. You should get this file, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe (other files could be hidden, hence not visible).
- Double click on extracted file of Odin, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe, to open the Odin window, as shown below. Be careful with Odin, and do just as said to prevent problems.
- Connect your Galaxy S6 Edge to PC now using USB cable. Odin should recognize your S6 Edge. It’s a must. When it recognizes, you will see Added!! message appearing in the Log box in bottom left, and the first box under ID:COM will also show a no. and turn its background blue. Look at the pic below.
- You cannot proceed until you get the Added!! message, which confirms that Odin has recognized your device.
- If you don’t get Added!! message, you need to install/re-install drivers again, and use the original cable that came with device. Mostly, drivers are the problem (look at step 2 above).
- You can try different USB ports on your PC too, btw.
- Load the TWRP file into Odin. Click the AP button on Odin and the select the file: Sprint1.tar
- Make sure Re-Partition checkbox is NOT selected under the Options tab. Don’t use PIT tab either. Go back to Log tab now, it will show the progress when you hit start button in next step.
- Click the Start button on Odin now to start flashing the TWRP recovery on your Sprint S6 Edge. Once done, you’ll get PASS message as show below upon successful installation from Odin. Now, device won’t reboot automatically, which is what we wanted. Proceed to next step to reboot it into recovery mode.
- If Odin gets stuck at setup connection, then you need to do steps 4 to 10 again. For this, close Odin, disconnect your S6 Edge, remove battery, insert it back after 5-6 seconds and then start from step 6 again.
- Or, if you get FAIL in the top left box, you need to try flashing again, as stated just above.
- That’s it. You can press and hold Power + Home + Volume up buttons together after hitting the START button above, so that it reboots you directly into TWRP recovery, and you can confirm the installation. Anyway, when you device is on, simply power it off, and then use this combination to boot into recovery mode and check it out.
If you need any help with this, let us know via comments below and we will try our best to help you out.