You know you want more custom ROMs for your devices, and the developers are happy to oblige with new custom ROMs coming out each day. Another AOKP ROM – based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean – has come out for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus, this time by XDA Forum Member hoang81 who has taken some important features from both AOKP and CM10 – including the theme chooser from CyanogenMod which allows you to install themes as normal apps and apply them – and merged them into the ROM.
NOTE: Considering the fact that Jelly Bean based AOKP is currently in its early stages, don’t expect to find many customization options that AOKP had on Ice Cream Sandwich to be present at this point. There may also be a few small issues, though everything is said to be working properly.
Read on to find out how can install unofficial AOKP ROM based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on Sprint Galaxy Nexus
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure the bootloader on your phone is unlocked. You can use this guide on how to do it (external link). Unlocking bootloader will delete all your data, including the entire SD card’s files, so back everything up before unlocking.
- Install the ClockworkMod Touch recovery on your phone by following the guide → here. Don’t try this procedure with any other recovery.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the zip files downloaded in step 4 and 5 to the SD card on the phone.
- Boot into CWM recovery. To do this, turn off the phone. Then, press and hold the following keys together: Power + Volume Up and Down to enter Fastboot mode where you’ll see “Start” written in big green letters. Then, using the volume buttons, navigate to the Recovery mode option, then select it using the Power button to reboot into recovery mode. In recovery, simply touch the icons to select them.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into AOKP ROM. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now running on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Check back on the development page for further updates and more information on the ROM. Let us know how it works for you, in the comments below.
You can try the other AOKP ROM for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus → here.