The official CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM for the Sprint Galaxy S3 has been released, following the release for the T-Mobile variant, bringing Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to the device with all its features such as a smoother interface, advanced voice recognition and search functionality, better keyboard, improved and actionable notifications area, and a lot more, along with the trusted name of CyanogenMod.
NOTE: This is an early preview of CM10 and a major work in progress. Also, CM10 is in a very early state and most of the custom features of CyanogenMod have not yet been added to CM10. So keep in mind that some things may not work properly and it will take time for the ROM to become stable.
The following known issues are being worked on (though there may be other issues as well):
- Overlay for UI (extra butter)- We’re waiting on CodeAurora to publish, UI is a little janky.
- Camera preview turns green during animations and may crash.
- All the things.
So, read on to find out how you can install the preview build of CM10 on your Sprint Galaxy S3.
This guide below is compatible only and only with the Sprint Galaxy S3, model number SPH-L710. It’s not compatible with any other Galaxy S3, it only works for Sprint variant. Check your device’s model in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Official CM10 on Sprint Galaxy S3
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb.1.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card. Do not extract them.
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, turn off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb.1.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into CM10.
- NOTE: If you want to go back to a stock ROM after flashing CM10, you can use this guide to do so.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Sprint Galaxy S3. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.