Its quite surprising just how many custom Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROMs are coming out for old devices like the LG Optimus GT540 or the Optimus One. The Optimus One, which saw the release of a Jelly Bean ROM a few days ago, has now received another custom Jelly Bean ROM.
XDA Senior Member Rashed97 has released an unofficial CM10 (CyanogenMod 10) ROM for the entire family of the Optimus One, which includes the P500, P505, P506 and P509 (Optimus One, LG Phoenix, LG Thrive and T-Mobile Optimus One) variants. CM10 brings Jelly Bean with features such as a smooth interface, advanced voice recognition, improved and actionable notifications, along with CyanogenMod’s customization features and fast performance.
The ROM is currently a work in progress, and the following things work/do not work currently (quoted from the developer):
- Display (obviously )
- All accelometers
- Google Apps
- Most Project Butter related enhancements
- All native apps
- All Audio
- Airplane Mode
What doesn’t work (yet as of 8/5)
- Google Now Voice (will have to expand the /system partition to fix )
- Screen on/off animation
- Probably a lot of little things I haven’t noticed yet
What kinda works (yet as of 8/5)
- Holo lockscreen animation (lags a bit or doesn’t show at all)
- Lots of graphics related things lag
Let’s take a look at how the unofficial CM10 ROM can be installed on the Optimus One P500/P506/P505/P509.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Optimus One P500/P506/P505/P509. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on LG Optimus One P500, P505, P506, P509
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from its development page for your device according to its model number.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-medium-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and 4 to the SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery. To do this, press and hold the Home + Volume Down + Power buttons to boot into CWM.
In recovery, use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-medium-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the Gapps package finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone to boot up into CM10.
NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10 ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your LG Optimus One P500/P505/P506/P509. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.