Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and CM10. For the LG Optimus. That’s right, when we have such wonderful developers in the Android development community, old devices such as the Optimus never fade away into oblivion. XDA Senior Member DevSwift1 has released an alpha build of CM10 (CyanogenMod) for the LG Optimus, bringing the Jelly Bean mania to the old yet still alive Android device that debuted with the ancient Android 1.6 Donut and that many would not even think capable of running Android 4.1.
NOTE: The ROM is in a very early stage of development and is “highly unstable” according to the developer, so keep in mind that this should only be used as a preview of Jelly Bean/CM10 at this point as many things do not work properly yet. Also, CM10 is in a very preliminary stage right now, hence there are no specific customization features of CyanogenMod in CM10 yet.
Take a look at what works/does not work in the ROM:
- GPS(not tested)
- SD CARD
- HW ACCELERATION
- Everything else
Let’s take a look at how you can install CM10 based on Jelly Bean on your LG Optimus GT540.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the LG Optimus, model number GT540. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on LG Optimus GT540
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file from step 3 to the SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do this, press and hold the Home + Power buttons to boot into CWM.
In recovery, use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone to boot up into CM10.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your LG Optimus GT540. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.