CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, has made its way to HTC first dual-core devices, the HTC Sensation. Jelly Bean brings a lot of new features to the table, such as a smoother interface, better keyboard, advanced voice recognition and search functionality, offline voice typing, an improved and actionable notifications area, and more (the full list can be seen here). And it’s now available for HTC Sensation owners to try out, thanks to XDA Senior Member sahil_lombar, who has compiled Jelly Bean from sources for the device.
NOTE: The ROM is in a very early stage of development and shouldn’t be considered stable for daily use, so keep in mind that this should only be used as a preview of Jelly Bean/CM10 at this point as many things do not work properly yet. Also, CM10 is in a very preliminary stage right now, hence there are no specific customization features of CyanogenMod in CM10 yet.
Take a look at what works/does not work in the ROM:
Button and Notification lights
and many other things
Read on to find out how you can install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your HTC Sensation with CM10.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Sensation. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on HTC Sensation
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- [Important] Your HTC Sensation must have S-Off and its bootloader must be unlocked. You can unlock the bootloader on the phone officially → here. Also, make sure ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb.1.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the SD card.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into Clockworkmod recovery by simultaneously pressing and holding the Volume down button and the Power button. From the resulting HBOOT menu, press Volume down to select the Recovery option and press the Power button to activate it.
In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb.1.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into CM10. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your HTC Sensation. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.