Now this is surprising. CM10 – based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 – has shown up on the I9100G variant of the international Galaxy S2 before the I9100 itself (which got a barely working Jelly Bean ROM), and in a surprisingly well working form. XDA Elite Recognized Developer codeworkx has released the official build of CM10 for the I9100G, which brings Jelly Bean features such as a smoother interface, better and smarter keyboard, advanced voice recognition and search functionality, offline voice typing, an improved and actionable notifications area, and more (the full list can be seen here).
NOTE: The ROM is simply a preview of the upcoming CM10 ROM and hence is meant only to give you a taste of Jelly Bean on your I9100G, and has some serious audio bugs. CM10 is in a very early state and most of the custom features of CyanogenMod have not yet been added to CM10.
Let’s take a look at how CM10 can be installed on the Galaxy S2 I9100G.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy S2, model number I9100G. It’s not compatible with the I9100 or any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S2 I9100
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install the stock Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Install Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery on XXLPQ by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120715.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Home + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option in recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation is complete, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120715.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into Jelly Bean. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
- Going back to stock ROM: To go back to a stock Samsung ROM again, you can flash the XXLPQ firmware by following the guide linked in step 2 above.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Galaxy S2 I9100G. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.