With the Transformer Prime and Transformer Pad TF300T set to receive/receiving the official Jelly Bean Android 4.1 update as well as a number of unofficial Jelly Bean ROMs, the original ASUS Transformer seems to have been left out of both official and unofficial ROMs. But that might change quite soon.
An unofficial yet stable CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM – based on Android 4.1 – has come out for the ASUS Transformer TF101, courtesy of XDA Senior Member RaymanFX. CM10 brings all the features of Jelly Bean – such as the smooth and fluid interface, expandable and actionable notifications, the new and improved Google Search with voice recognition and Google Now information cards, and lots more – while also adding a slew of performance optimizations as well as customization options for tweaking the interface and under the hood settings.
Though the ROM is stable, keep in mind that this is still an unofficial custom ROM and hence there may be a few small issues in the ROM (though none of them should be major enough to spoil the fun).
Now, let’s take a look at how the stable CM10 ROM can be installed on the ASUS Transformer TF101.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, model number TF101. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About Tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Stable CM10 ROM on Asus Transformer
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your tablet.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the source page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the SD card on the tablet (do not extract the files).
- Turn off your tablet and boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do so, press and hold both Volume Down and Power buttons. When you see words scrolling at the top left of the tablet, immediately push Volume Up within 5 seconds to make the device enter recovery.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot your phone into CM10.
NOTE: If you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 6), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Asus Transformer TF101. Visit the source page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.