Android 4.1 for AT&T Samsung Skyrocket: Install Jelly Bean Based Liquid Custom ROM
The AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket has been given an unofficial taste of Jelly Bean Android 4.1 already via custom ROMs (AOKP and CM10), and now another Jelly Bean ROM has come out for it, called Liquid ROM.
Jelly Bean custom ROMs for the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 can be found → here.
Liquid ROM is based on the latest version of Android and features very smooth performance as well as a lot of customization settings via the BirdNest settings mod. Then of course you have Jelly Bean features such as a butter smooth interface and animations, improved notifications menu, Google Now’s voice recognition search, and lots more.
Keep in mind that this is not an official Samsung ROM. It’s a custom ROM that is under development and may have a few bugs and issues, and some things may not work properly and some stock Samsung ROM features will not be available.
The following issue(s) currently exist in the ROM (quoted from the developer, the most updated list of issues can be found on the development page linked in step 3 of the guide below):
Video doesnt save for some reason
Now, let’s take a look at how the ROM can be installed on the AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, model number SGH-I727. It’s not compatible with other US variants of S2, the Epic 4G Touch, and AT&T Galaxy S2 or any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings. Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- [Important!] Install the ClockworkMod (CWM) Touch recovery on the phone by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM for Skyrocket from the development page.
- Download the Darkside Venom 7.3 kernel. This is required to make the ROM boot.
Download Kernel | Filename: hercules_DARKSIDE.VENOM_A07.3_CM10.zip
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120811.zip
- Copy the 3 zip files downloaded in steps 3, 4 and 5 to the internal SD card on the phone (do not extract them).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Volume Down + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete (this will not erase your personal files on the SD card).
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the hercules_DARKSIDE.VENOM_A07.3_CM10.zip file to install the kernel. The phone might reboot into recovery after the kernel flash completes, which is fine.
- After kernel installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120811.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into Liquid ROM.
NOTE:If you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (like you did in step 7), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Liquid ROM, based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.