Those who have seen the demo of HTC latest version of Sense, Sense 4.0, that will run on all their upcoming Android devices with Ice Cream Sandwich will agree that it is a beauty, and probably the best looking of all the custom UIs out there. An Endeavor (which turned out to be the HTC One-X) ICS firmware with Sense 4.0 was leaked a few weeks ago, and now you can try Sense 4.0 on your HTC myTouch 4G Slide.
Meet Futureal ROM, a custom ROM for the myTouch 4G Slide ported over from the Endeavor ICS leak, which lets you try out Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 with Sense 4.0 on top, thanks to XDA modder tbalden. Those looking to get a taste of Sense 4.0 on their myTouch 4G Slide would do well to try it out.
But before you go all crazy and start flashing, keep in mind that the ROM is in the alpha stage and has a very long list of issues, some of which might deter you from using the ROM as a daily driver. So check out the issues below before trying the ROM out.
This ROM and guide is applicable only for the myTouch 4G Slide. Check your phone’s version in Settings » About Phone. Please do not try this on any other phone.
Read everything carefully and thoroughly. The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → tbalden
- Sometimes, rarely a quick soft reboot might happen.
- Camcorder DOESNT work
- SEARCH button is APP SWITCHER button!
- Phone call screen needs resize, You can’t access the END CALL button easily, its overlapped with other icons. WORKAROUND: Settings/Accessibility: set Power button ends Call. And there you go, hang up with Power button.
- Slight lags on scrolling, fast movements. Some transient glitches here and there while switch apps etc.
- Don’t use Camera in burst mode, it will render it unusable after a few pictures taken
- Bluetooth works, but you must switch the your BT device to Pairing mode, otherwise it wont appear in the list. After, you must go into the paired Bluetooth devices settings and tap the service you want to use. After this, reconnection should work next time, without repairing.
- Bluetooth remote control doesn’t seem to work here
- Video playback is choppy
- YOU CAN’T replace Dock icons
- After a while, memory (especially GPU memory), will get too low and too garbaged, and you will have to reboot, if you want to run more than one apps at a time.
- Video chat apps will crash (gtalk video chat, google hangout, Skype etc.)
- Sometimes it gets stuck with the Screen ON, and couldn’t switch it off with Power button. Found out that Pressing POWER + Vol Down + Trackpad makes screen off, and it fixes it, you can use the phone fine again after that.
- SD card USB storage mounting: use dualmount sd market app
- Many heavy apps, especially 3D might freeze / crash
- Rooted/S-off T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide with Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD card, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Make sure the battery is sufficiently charged. At least 50% is recommended.
How to Install Futureal ROM on myTouch 4G Slide
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file from step 1 to the root of your external SD card on your phone.
- Turn off the device and boot into Clockworkmod Recovery.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again. Restore your backup using the “restore” option when required.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Select “wipe cache”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Then, select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache”, then select “Yes” to confirm. After wiping dalvik cache, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install *your_rom_name*.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
- After the phone boots, set up your Google account and let the ROM settle down, then reboot the phone. You can then use the phone normally.
Your myTouch 4G Slide is now running Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 with the Sense UI version 4.0 on top. Visit the development page to get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM and Sense 4.0 in the comments.