The Samsung Galaxy S i9000 sure has one of the most active development community out there and refuses to recede into the background. New ROMs come out for it almost every other day. And now, Android 4.0.4 has been ported over to it, thanks to XDA member nasif619.
An Android 4.0.4 firmware was recently leaked for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, which brought along quite a few improvements such as faster performance, better battery life, faster camera and more. Thanks to this new ported ROM, you can enjoy Ice Cream Sandwich with the advantages of Android 4.0.4 on your Galaxy S.
The ROM is certainly usable as your daily ROM with almost everything working. Do note that some bugs might still be present in the ROM, as the ROM is still a work in progress.
Read on to find out how to flash Android 4.0.4 on your Galaxy S.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Galaxy S, model number I9000. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
Developer → nasif619
- Very Fast System
- Zoom on camera
- init.d Support
- Touch to focus
- Voodoo Colour
- Themed APP
- Tweaks in Build.prop
- Best battery life [NO Android OS BUG]
- WiFi Tethering
- HD 720p Video recording
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How To Install Android 4.0.4 ROM on your Galaxy S I9000
Important Note: If you are on CM7, MIUI or any ICS (Android 4) based custom ROM, you can skip steps 2 and 3 below. If unsure of what ROM you are on, follow all the steps.
- Remove sim card lock, if you have set it earlier. Go here: Settings » Location and Security » Sim card lock » checkbox should be clear (not selected).
- Flash the stock XXJVU firmware by using → this guide.
- Root XXJVU to obtain Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) by using → this guide.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page to your desktop.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of your internal SD card on your phone (don’t use microSD card).
- Turn off your Galaxy S and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up, Home, and the Power button till the screen turns on, then let go of the buttons. You’ll boot into CWM recovery soon enough. In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Perform a wipe by selecting “Wipe data / factory reset” → then Select Yes – Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen to confirm. (This will NOT format or erase your SD card contents)
- Now scroll to “Install zip from sdcard” and select it.
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the file you transferred in Step 5 and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes — Install **your_rom_file_name**.zip. The ROM will start installing.
- Your phone will reboot into recovery after a few seconds, then continue installing the ROM. However, if it simply reboots into recovery the first time and does nothing, repeat steps 9, 10 and 11.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.4 is now up and running on your Galaxy S i9000. Follow the development page to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts and experience on the ROM in the comments.