Development for the original Samsung Galaxy Tab continues. XDA member henryedwardrose has released the latest build of AOKP ROM for the Galaxy Tab. AOKP is an open source Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.4 based custom ROM that brings a stock Android experience, with fast and smooth performance, and lots of customizability thanks to the inbuilt ROM Control mod.
NOTE: AOKP ROM is under constant development, so there may be some bugs and issues in the ROM, and everything may not work properly. Everyday use of the ROM is stable enough though, so do give it a try.
Read on to find out how you can install AOKP ROM on your Galaxy Tab.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy Tab, model number P1000. It’s not compatible with other Galaxy Tab 10.1 variants or with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install AOKP ROM on Galaxy Tab
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on the tablet.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the internal SD card on the tablet.
- Now power off the tablet and boot to Clockworkmod Recovery. To do this, hold the Volume Up + Power buttons together till the screen turns on, then let them go.
Use volume buttons to scroll up and down and the power button to select options in recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into AOKP ROM. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
The latest AOKP ROM is now installed on your Galaxy Tab. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.