Android 2.3 Gingerbread for Motorola Droid
The earliest rumors of the Gingerbread told us a thing that android 2.3 would have a minimum requirement of 1GHz, which broke many Droid 1 souls. But here we are, it’s confirmed that android 2.3 isn’t married to 1GHz only sort of beliefs and in fact, we’ve already discovered the custom ROMs for the original Droid running Gingerbread, ported from the AOSP release.
The ROMs cannot be said to be mature enough to replace your current ROM, but for what it’s worth, you MAY actually want to try it on your Droid.
We spotted 2 ROMs, one w/o Google Apps (ROM 1) and the other with Google Apps (ROM 2), but based on the first one only.
Note that these ROMs are meant only for the original Droid. (No Milestone queries, please!)
ROM 1: Browser keeps force closing and Camera doesn’t work.
Developer – neubanks89, without Google Apps
Download: gingerbread_sholes.zip (http://www.multiupload.com/IV8WO2ZT2I)
- Download the file “gingerbread_sholes.zip” from the above link
- Boot your phone into recovery
- Make a backup first (very much recommended)
- Do a factory reset by wiping the data
- Install from the zip file you downloaded
- That’s it. Reboot and Enjoy!
OR, try this ROM!
ROM 2: More refined form of ROM 1. Camera works and browser works good on Wi-Fi, but crashes on 3G. Accelerometer doesn’t work and you can’t mount the SD Card too.
Developer – steinman, nandroid with Google Apps
Download: Gingerbread-4-OG-Droid.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?bz4l5nsisn4ifbj)
- Download the file “Gingerbread-4-OG-Droid.zip” from the above link
- Extract the file and move the folder to /clockwork/backup
- Now, boot into recovery to make current ROM’s backup
- Do a factory reset by wiping out data
- Now, to install the new ROM, restore the ROM you put in the backup folder in Step 2. Go to “backup and restore” in recovery and then select Restore
- Choose the folder (from Step 2) in the backup
- That’s it. Enjoy!
Let us know how blazing fast your Droid has gone? And how crazy you’ve gone too? We expect the fully featured ROMs to break soon on the Internet and will be there to get it you. Keep watching this space.